Thursday, August 12, 2010

A Compliment?

Today, a burly sort of fisherman stopped me in the aisle as I was trying to solicit credit card applications while knowing nothing about them....and said this to me...after about 4 Jack Daniels on the rocks.

Man:  I gotta ask...how long?
Me:   1 hour
Man: No no, how long have you been doing this?
Me:   4 looooong years.
Man: Really?
Me:  Oh yes.
Man: You're doing a great job (pats me lovingly yet creepy on the arm)...You're gonna make a great family member.

I awkwardly "ha ha ho ha" as I sneak away dodging the chunkos spilling out into the aisle, slowing my retreat while simultaneously avoiding eye contact with everyone else so that they can't fault me if I don't know they need anything, until I get to the back galley and think to myself....what? I am a family member...to many....I think I knew what he meant but that's a new one...I usually get, "How old do you have to be to do what you do?" assuming a compliment to my rare youth in contrast to all the blue-hairs in my industry family that I have to pretend to identify with.

I love my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment